- In the forum (and to a lesser extend on the user mailinglist and IRC), a lot of regular volunteers have very successfully covered users’ issues in getting up to speed.
- On the mailing lists and on GitHub, sometimes miles high above and in a mostly disjointed community developers have been developing away.
Between the two, there has been a big divide that was unsatisfying. Also neither Forums nor Mailing lists are a good fit for agile communities these days.
So let’s fix this! The forum moderators and sysadmins, have long been wanting to move off our old trusted forum for this reason, and had decided to use Discourse. Now we finally have a new host, courtesy of ownCloud GmbH, to carry a successor.
Please welcome: ownCloud Central!
- A place for newbies and regulars to ask questions
- A place to collect, write and evolve high quality Q&A/tutorials
- A place to get involved in development and discuss new features, before moving them to GitHub for implementation
- A trust system: The higher the trust level, the more rights you get. And, of course, badges for busy beavers 🙂
- Much much more: We’ll use it to organize events, spread news, and collect feedback about ownCloud Central itself!
I want to give a big shout out to RealRancor and tflidd, who have done terrific work on migrating the FAQs and vital articles to the new platform. Next, we’ll put the forum into read-only mode and will archive its contents. ownCloud Central will take over. We also migrated all accounts from the old forum. Let’s continue to make ownCloud awesome together!